Community First is a new electoral organization formed to support progressive candidates in New Westminster.
Our Purpose is defined as:
- Identify and nominate candidates for local elections in the jurisdictions of the City of New Westminster and New Westminster School District
- Fundraise to support the campaigns of nominated candidates
- Coordinate campaign activities with and on behalf of nominated candidates
- Work with and support elected officials of the organization between elections
- Fulfill the obligations of an "electoral organization" under provincial legislation
Our Principles - values in action
Elected people are called on to listen and learn, to take action and make decisions. With these Principles we show some of the tangible actions, choices and priorities that we are committed to.
1. Social, Economic and Environmental Justice
We work for social, economic and environmental justice. We prioritize equity, inclusion, anti-racism and anti-oppression in all forms, and are committed to every individual’s right to dignity and respect. We support workers’ rights to organize, make a living wage, and meaningfully participate in our community. We value a strong local economy and the contribution small businesses make to our city.
2. Reconciliation & Decolonization
We acknowledge the ongoing harms colonization has inflicted on Indigenous Peoples, and demonstrate our commitment to truth and reconciliation through ongoing learning and centering the voices of Indigenous peoples, especially the Halkomelem speaking peoples on whose territory we live, work and play on.
3. Climate Action & Stewardship
We commit to courageous action to address the climate crisis. We cherish and steward the land we live on and safeguard the waters that flow through our community.
4. Public Services
We believe in the public delivery of services people depend on and prioritize sharing the wealth and abundance of New Westminster through investment in public amenities across our community.
5. Social Democracy
We support social democratic values and principles. Members are encouraged to support the NDP to advance a progressive agenda provincially and federally.
Decision-making: how we work
We are a democratic organization committed to fairness and equity. The Founding AGM of Community First was held April 28, 2022, online. The 78 members in attendance reviewed, revised and adopted a set of Bylaws to govern the organization. The members also elected the first Executive Committee.
Executive Committee - elected April 28, 2022
|Recording Secretary||Janice Meehan|
|Membership Secretary||David Black|
|Fundraising Chair||Jason Campbell|
|Youth Representative||Raunaq Singh|
|Labour Representative||Andii Stephens|